August 20, 2010

Alterations

Through out our lives, our bodies may change in size,
and styles may change a bit too.

Last week Joslyn came to our studio from Philadelphia.
She has been a collector of our work for about 20 years,
and had lost some weight.
Our pieces are limited editions and one of a kind, so worth preserving.
The coats were still in great condition,
and she still wants and wears them,
so we got to work measuring.


Alterations, taking apart a garment and essentially putting it back together,
are a bit of a challenge in leather and shearling, but with careful work
it can be done.



This shearling has many colors of lambskin pieced together, some
may need to be matched and replaced as the seams are altered.


This purple coat is her newest, and only needs slight adjustment.


Toshiki has a tendency to say not a big deal, but this leather
jacket with all the stitching looks like it may be some work to me!


This western influence piece was the first piece she got from
us years and years ago at
The Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show.


It is so rewarding to have our pieces live on.
And what a great email we received the next day!

"...... And thanks so much for taking such good care of my jackets. As you can tell - I consider them lifetime pieces. I was thinking on the way home that, while I am not a collector in any other way - your fabulous Very Special Jackets are becoming my one set of collector's items."
Joslyn

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a great read and I enjoyed seeing photos of your studio in the background. Inspiring work! Cecilia

Chris said...

Christine Sloan- Funny- I just counted and I have collected 6 coats! Nice to think of myself as a collector! All of my coats are so different- a cloth coat, a wax jacket, a shearling poncho, a leather swing coat, a fitted leather coat, and a black shearling coat with gorgeous yellow stitching. Ralph will soon have his black shearling coat as the skins from Spain just arrived!