January 6, 2008

Art

While most of the tourists have gone home, New Yorkers were out in droves this weekend, as so many important shows are ending in early January. I made my way to MOMA on friday night, and was
thoroughly saturated and exhausted after seeing three great shows. Each touched a different nerve.
The American artist Martin Puryear-you can still catch this show until the 14th.



Perhaps my pick if I had to, was Lucien Freud, grandson of Sigmund, the psychoanalyst. Currently living and working in London, the show is of his etchings and shows many of the plates. Thru March 10th.


But Georges Seraut, the drawings, you go because you have to, and leave with a new respect for the artist.
If you are reading this after January 7th, you've missed it, what a shame.

But wandering thru the museum, one always finds an unexpected treat. For me it was this installation by Italian artist Mario Merz, titled "Places with No Street" from 1987. I guess it is my fascination with being enclosed by aluminum that struck a note with me.
Oddly, behind the Merz piece, I could see a reflection of the museum's airstream, the type of aluminum we
are usually encased in, when we need time out from work and life.



Saturday I dutifully headed toward the Metropolitan Museum of Art, to catch The Age of Rembrandt , and those incredible tapestries before they left town. Sometimes doing things you think you must turn out to be very rewarding.

No comments: